There are several organisations responsible for dealing with police complaints. To make sure you get a quick and appropriate response, use the information on this page to help you send your complaint to the right place.

Please note, the Police and Crime Commissioner can only consider complaints about Merseyside Police’s Chief Constable.

If you have a complaint about a police officer, member of police staff, police community support officer or special constable of Merseyside Police, you should:

Professional Standards Department,
PO Box 59,
L69 1JD

Please note, Police Misconduct Hearings are now held in public and chaired by a legally qualified Chair. Get more information about Police Misconduct Hearings.

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Commissioner is responsible for recording and investigating complaints against the Chief Constable. If you want to complain about the Chief Constable then please contact us by:

  • Writing to:

Chief Executive
Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Merseyside,
Mather Avenue Training Centre,
Mather Avenue,
L18 9TG.

Complaint Reviews

On February 1st, 2020, the Home Office introduced new legislation giving Police and Crime Commissioners the responsibility for complaint appeals.

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been handled by Merseyside Police’s Professional Standards Department, you can request a review.

Complain Reviews

Complaints about the Commissioner or her office

You can find the full complaints procedure for the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Merseyside by using the link below. This includes how to make a complaint about the Police and Crime Commissioner or a member of her office.

The appropriate authority for complaints made against the Commissioner is the Police and Crime Panel.

The Police and Crime Panel are responsible for initial recording of complaints and conduct matters and for referring any complaints which allege criminality to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

Where complaints do not allege criminality, the panel is responsible for handling and informally resolving these complaints.

The Panel's complaint handling policy and all complaints received about the Commissioner are recorded through the Monitoring Complaints Report.

Complaints Procedure